- It preserves the integrity of the original fresh product;
- It dehydrates better than fresh drying;
- it preserves the vitamins and anti-oxidants better,
- keeps a good colour;
- it preserves the material and increases shelf-life;
- Above all it creates very tasty healthy snacks.
Although in essence an extraction, from an engineering perspective drying is totally different. Extreme high solvent to feed ratios are necessary. If one would perform a pressure drop this would kill the applicability of the process because of the operational costs. The process is only commercially feasible when the water is removed from the carbon dioxide, while not using a pressure swing.